Meet Coach Sue
My passion is guiding others to navigate life with a renewed sense of direction and happiness, striving for personal & professional fulfillment. Throughout my professional career and personal life experiences, I have naturally gravitated towards helping others identify, break through and overcome life challenges/transitions.
Professionally my career has spanned a background in nursing, recruitment, retention, sales, program development, company ownership and management.
Why did I transition to Life and Career Coaching?
I began my career as a Registered Nurse working in both inpatient and outpatient settings. When I graduated from Nursing School, I was riddled with a lack of self-confidence and self-esteem. Nursing School was not easy for me; all too often, it seemed I was criticized on what I did not do well versus my positive achievements. As a new nurse, I joined a unit with older, experienced nurses who were not the most welcoming, not happy with their lives or their career and soon I found myself disengaging and looking for new opportunities. Ever hear of the phrase "Nurses Eat Their Young?" Well, the sad truth is it still exists...
- I am passionate about working with new nursing graduates who are either seeking their first position or are in a residency program. My mission is to guide and empower new grads to increase their self-confidence, find their voice, ensure their values and goals align with the healthcare organization they join and build resilience for positive engagement and career success.
After a brief sabbatical from Nursing, I returned to a position with Human Resources as a Nursing Interviewer. My desire was to facilitate matching nurses with the units they were exploring through effective interviewing. I moved on to develop the first Nursing Recruitment division at Swedish Hospital Medical Center in Seattle, working closely with the Nursing Division and HR. I soon became aware that while we had an effective recruitment division, we needed to ensure new nurses were onboarding well and engaging, while supporting all nurses with recognition, respect and professional career growth. I was instrumental in forming a Nursing Engagement/Retention division to support our nurses.
- Certified through the PROPEL Institute, I provide evidence-based and proven coaching services to healthcare organizations to ensure nurses are onboarded well, engaged and feel respected and that both nursing and leadership teams are working collaboratively together. Promoting a positive and healthy work environment leads to increased nurse and staff retention, a higher level of quality patient care and cost reductions.
In 2010, I returned to Nursing Recruitment working with candidates and clients on a national basis. I soon realized many of my clients lacked a focus on nursing engagement and retention. All too often, after placing a nurse in their desired position, I would receive a call within their first year inquiring of other opportunities. My experience as a full-cycle Nursing/Healthcare Recruiter led me to the field of coaching to gain the skillset to make a difference in people’s lives.
- I am passionate about guiding nurses who are either in career transition or have become disillusioned with their current position, to first and foremost, gain clarity on the direction of their career path, identify their talents, passions and values and help to ensure they are joining a company in alignment with their personal and professional values.
- I am passionate about empowering individuals to learn how to replace obstacles with opportunities, build self-confidence and self-advocacy skills, find balance and fulfillment in their personal/professional life.
Personal life experiences have afforded me an understanding of the difficulties individuals struggling with ADHD/ADD face daily. Having been a guardian to two at-risk teens struggling with diagnoses of Fetal Alcohol Effects, ADHD, reactive attachment disorder, dyslexia; combined with my own daughter with ADD and cognitive processing delays and living with an ADHD husband; I get the challenges.
- I am a fierce yet compassionate advocate. I myself learned how to overcome challenges, find my voice and I now share this knowledge and skills with those I partner with.
- My mission is to help you identify and appreciate your strengths to leverage against your challenges and calm the mental chaos ADHD can present.
Professional Credentials include:
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing – University of Washington
- Certified PROPEL Coach through the PROPEL INSTITUTE
- Certified Professional Co-Active Coach (CPCC) through the Coaches Training Institute
- Certified ADHD Life Coach (CALC) through the IACTCenter for ADHD Coach Certification Program
- Certified Life Coach through Practical Solutions Zone
- Associate Certified Coach (ACC) and Member, International Coaching Federation
- Member, Institute of Coaching
- Member, American Nurses Association
- Member, Washington State Nurses Association
- Affiliate Member, NWOne
Outside of coaching, I enjoy boating in the waterways of the Pacific Northwest and British Columbia, fishing, clamming, crabbing, snow skiing, piano and spending time with my two daughters, husband and our Cavalier King Charles Spaniel!